- Oranges are long famous for being loaded with vitamin C, but this citrus favorite has lots of calcium too!
- Steel cut organic oatmeal wins its way to the heart healthy breakfast list again! This power breakfast favorite for many Americans has a significant amount of calcium as well. You can put in one-quarter teaspoon cinnamon to add in some flavor and extra cardiovascular bonus points.
- You can also help your calcium levels by cutting back on red meats. Red meat is acidic, and your bones excrete calcium to help balance the pH in the blood. After a perfectly grilled burger, your body loses calcium to make up for this elevation in acid levels. Reducing your consumption of red meat helps you not lose so much calcium.
- Broccoli. Mom was right. Turns out it’s really good for you.
- Arugula is a tart lettuce with lots of flavor. Goes great with a simple 50/50 mix with spinach and a light vinaigrette dressing. Loaded with about 125mg of calcium per cup.
5 Important Health Concerns For Men
My mother is an excellent cook, don’t get me wrong. Sweet potatoes have never been so good. She nevertheless has a tendency towards using a cup of sugar and a bar o’butter in those recipes. When I was growing up she relied heavily on cooking traditional American casserole recipes, the best ones passed down from her mother, made for easily cooking larger than normal portions (six boys in your house will put you in that position). Chicken Tetrazzini was popular and the meatball spaghetti was to die for. I did learn from her that cooking isn’t about putting together this perfectly regimented set of ingredients or following within the lines. Rather, it’s about learning and perfecting your tastes, intuition, and sensitivities. It’s about exploring what makes you excited to eat better quality, wholesome ingredients your body loves. This experience rooted me in a satisfying relationship with food that I still enjoy daily. Nutrition for men doesn’t have to be complicated, or something so tasteless and boring that you experience actual pain to discipline yourself Monday through Friday, only to find relief in your weekend “break” from the regiment. Here are a few items you can easily find everyday to help keep your body happy and healthy. 1. Calcium Men most often don’t spend much time pondering their calcium levels. We grew up always being told, drink your milk every morning and you’ll be great. Yes you get calcium from milk. But dairy is a source of calcium you want to use sparingly. Livestock today are injected with growth hormones to both lengthen lactation and increase the volume of milk produced beginning only hours after being separated from their mother. These hormones leach into the milk we drink. But we need calcium for bone health right? Right, and it also aids in muscle function, and cardiovascular health. In one study, men who consumed 2,000mg of calcium per day were 25% less likely to die over the next two decades over their peers who got the least amount. So how do you get enough? Calcium is found all over nature.